Per Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, American University must send the 1098T tax form to all eligible students, every year. The university is prohibited from offering any tax advice. All questions regarding Education Tax Credits must be addressed to a tax professional or the IRS at www.irs.gov.
Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, payments will be reported in box 1 up to the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) during the calendar year. There will be no amounts reported in box 2.
- Only payments made towards QTRE will be reported in box 1 of the 1098T form: this includes payments received from any source (less refunds) during the tax year such as personal payments, loans, scholarships, grants, sponsorships, and veterans affairs payments.
- If the student pre-registered for the 2020 Spring semester during the 2019 Fall semester, the related QTRE were included in 2019 1098T calculations. However, unpaid QTRE charges from a previous year will be included in future tax year's calculations. Example: students had $20,000 in QTRE and $15,000 in payments in 2019. In year 2020 the student made a $5,000 payment towards pervious year charges. $15,000 would have been reported in 2019 1098T Box 1 and the $ 5,000 payment made in 2020 would be reported in the 2020 1098T.
- Box 5 shows the total of all scholarships, grants, sponsorships, and veterans affairs payments administered and processed by the eligible educational institution. The total amount for the calendar year may reduce the amount of the education credit you claim for the year
- For further information, please visit the IRS question and answers page at https://www.irs.gov/irb/2006-36_IRB#NOT-2006-72
Information will be reported in boxes 1 through 10 of the 1098T only if they pertained to the student during the 2020 calendar year. Any questions regarding amounts posted in boxes 1 through 10 on the 1098T, or request for copies of billing statements can be addressed by AU Central.
- Email (from student AU assigned email address) - email@example.com
- Phone - (202) 885-8000.
On January 31, 2021, a paper 1098T form for the calendar year 2020 will be mailed out to students who did not consent to receive the form electronically. You still may consent to receive your tax information electronically. Please note if you consent after January 30, 2021, then your form will be available to view within 5-7 business days.
Current students who consented to receive the 1098-T form electronically, may access the form at the student portal, per the steps below.
- Login to your student portal at myau.american.edu.
- Under the "Personalized Links" search bar, select the "Finances" tab. When it opens, select the "Eagle Service-Financial Information" link.
- Click "Tax Information" from the main menu and select the 2020 1098-T form.
The best browser to use to view your 1098-T tax from is " Internet Explorer" or " Google Chrome". If you use "Firefox", then you need to make sure you add the PDF plugin, per the instructions below.
From the "Firefox browser, select the menu icon in the upper right-hand corner.
Scroll down to "Portable Document Format (PDF).
In the dropdown tab, select "Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC".
Electronic Consent is required to view the 1098-T form electronically. Please follow the steps below to consent and sign up to receive your 1098-T form electronically.
- Login to your student portal at my myau.american.edu
- Under the "Personalized Links" search box, select "Finances" and then "Eagle Service-Financial Information"
Select "Tax Information"
Select from the main menu "Change Preferences"
Click on the box you consent to receiving your 1098-T
Click the "Save" button.
If you would like to revoke consent at anytime.
- Select "Change Preferences".
- Select " Withhold my Consent".
- Click "Save".
Students no longer attending the university who require an additional copy of their 1098T form will need to send a signed written request for information and a copy of a government issued picture ID to AU Central.
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax - (202) 885-8010
Mail - AU Central, Asbury 201, 4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20016
To comply with IRS regulations, American University is required to collect your correct tax identifying number to file your 1098T form with the IRS.
IRS regulations requires students to provide their correct Social Security Number (SSN), or individual Taxpayer Identification (ITIN), if one is not eligible to obtain a SSN to the institution. If you fail to furnish your correct SSN or ITIN to the institution, then you are subject to a penalty of $50 unless your failure is due to reasonable causes and not to willful neglect. (For example: SSN or ITIN are not required for non-resident aliens)
If you have not provided the university with your social security (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (ITIN), please complete Personal Data Change Request Form . Due to security concerns, the form cannot be submitted by email.