Reduce your commuting expenses for work-related transit and parking expenses by using pre-tax money for these items.
- In 2020, you may allocate up to $270 per month ($265 in 2019), pre-tax, for Metro, VRE, MARC train fares. You may allocate up to $270 ($265 in 2019) per month, pre-tax, for parking at WMATA® Park and Ride locations. You can also use your commuter allocations for vanpools, and ride-sharing services such as Lyft Line and uberPOOL.
- Please keep in mind that you must place your commuter order by the 10th of each month for the following month.
- You can set your order to recur monthly and it will repeat automatically each month or you can designate, in advance, which months you wish to receive your commuter benefits.
SmarTrip cards are permanent, rechargeable cards that are used to pay Metrobus and Metrorail fares. If you don’t already have one, you will initially need to purchase a card from WMATA or a participating retailer and register your new card with WMATA.
- SmarTrip card users must make separate elections for transit expenses and for parking expenses at WMATA Park and Ride locations.*
*The use of ConnectYourCare commuter benefits for parking applies to WMATA® Park and Ride locations only. For parking at AU parking facilities, please contact American University Parking and Commuter Services.
This reloadable prepaid card can only be used to purchase transit fares from qualified transit authorities where Debit Mastercard is accepted†. We recommend participants load an amount that’s appropriate for their normal monthly commute.
IMPORTANT: Do not order the Commuter Check Prepaid Mastercard if you intend on using it for:
WMATA Metrobus or Metrorail
- WMATA Park and Ride locations
† The Commuter Check Prepaid Mastercard may only be used for qualified commuter benefit purchases in accordance with IRS Tax Code 132(f). No cash or ATM access. This card may not be used everywhere Debit Mastercard is accepted.
Parking at American University is available as a pre-tax benefit for full-time faculty and staff. Visit American University Parking and Commuter Services for more information and to get a parking permit.
In support of our sustainability initiative, American University offers a bicycle benefit that is fully paid by the university. Faculty and staff can receive a $20 voucher* for each month that they commute regularly by bicycle for a substantial portion of their travel between home and work. The voucher is intended to pay for the purchase, storage, repair, and maintenance of a bicycle.
Participants are eligible for only one commuter benefit per month – either the transit commuter benefit, AU parking, or the bicycle commuter benefit. To receive the bicycle commuter benefit:
Plan for and monitor your use of the benefit.
Log onto www.connectyourcare.com to enter your election by the 10th of each month for the following month or designate in advance the months that you’ll be biking to work.
Update your elections throughout the year to ensure that your anticipated bicycle commuting accurately reflects your actual usage of the bicycle commuting benefit.
*$20 voucher is taxable.