Research Paper Awards
Papers written during spring and fall 2018 and spring 2019 semesters will be accepted for consideration. Students may submit more than one paper, but only one award will be granted per individual. Note: Funds may be taxable and may impact financial aid.
To apply, students must submit the following to LibAward@american.edu:
- Completed application cover sheet with student name, title of project, title of course, name of professor, date of submission to competition.
- Letter of recommendation from the faculty member who taught the course for which the paper or project was prepared.
- A brief 500 to 700 word reflective essay describing research strategies, application of library tools and resources in completion of the project.
- A bibliography or other listing of sources consulted, if not already included in the paper.
- A final version of the project. Written papers should be double spaced and may be of any length. Digital projects should be submitted on a DVD or CD. For other formats, please contact us.
- All documents must be submitted as Microsoft Word files.
Substantial use of library resources and collections in any format, including but not limited to printed resources, databases, primary resources, and materials in all media
Ability to locate, select, evaluate, and synthesize library resources and to use them in the creation of a project that shows originality and/or has the potential to lead to original research in the future
Evidence of significant personal learning and the development of a habit of research and inquiry that shows the likelihood of persisting in the future; and originality of thought, mastery of content appropriate to class level, clear writing and a high quality of presentation