Off-campus housing services within Housing & Residence Life provides resources for students looking to live off campus.
On-campus housing is only guaranteed for first- and second-year undergraduate students. Many AU students, including graduate and Washington College of Law students, live off campus in the DC-metropolitan area.
This video provides important information to help guide you through your off-campus housing search, living in the city, staying involved on campus, and using resources related to your student rights as a tenant.
Use the Off-Campus Posting Site
American University's Off-Campus Housing Postings is the best resource students can use when searching for a new home. In addition to searching for housing options around the area, you can use the posting site to find roommates with similar interests and preferences. Signing up is easy, fast, and free.
- Visit the Off-Campus Housing Postings and click "Sign Up".
- Select "AU Students" to sign up as a student through the Member Registration page.
- Fill out all required fields. Under the University Information section, you must enter your @american.edu address. If you have yet to receive your AU student email address, please contact the Office of Information Technology.
- Once you have filled out all fields and have read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions, click "Register" to complete your registration.
- Go to "My Account" and select "Add my roommate profile". Fill out the information in your roommate profile.
- Once you have filled out the information on one page, hit "Save" or "Save and Continue" to go to the next section.
- Once you have filled out all required fields, you are done! You can return and edit information at any time.
Remember to deactivate your roommate profile after you have found someone to live with!
- Go to "My Account" and select "Roommate Search." This link takes you to a page with profiles of all AU students who are looking for housing.
- Narrow your search by selecting from the filters in the right-hand column. You can sort potential roommates by gender preference, smoking habits, pet ownership, cleaning habits, University affiliation, and graduation year.
- Click on the user's name to view the user's roommate profile. You can view the user's "About Me" section, neighborhood and housing preferences, move-in date, ideal price range, and more.
- Contact potential roommates through the Off-Campus Housing Posting site. Fill out the information in the "Contact" sidebar to send an email to the user's AU email address. You will be notified when they respond!
- Select "Housing" from the menu bar.
- Explore listings by scrolling through all listings on our site, or by filtering for characteristics. You can filter properties by location, lease type, rooms, price, and more.
Residential Housing licenses are required for all rental properties in the District of Columbia including homes, apartments, condominiums, basement apartments and apartment buildings. All properties listed on our site have submitted Basic Business Licenses in order to have their listings approved.
Virtual Property Tours
- Day 1 Off Campus Properties Virtual Tour 6/23/2020
- Day 2 Off Campus Properties Virtual Tour 6/24/2020
- Day 3 Off Campus Properties Virtual Tour 6/25/2020
Virtual Housing Fair
HRL will host a virtual housing fair on Tuesday, 7/7, from 4-6 P.M. Representatives from various properties will be present to answer questions. Please sign up !
Hotel Room Blocks
These hotels have set aside room blocks for AU students and prepared special rates for the school year. Contact them directly to learn more about the property.
|Hotel Website||Price Per Semester||Address||Reservation Link||Contact|
10% discount for AU students
|2807 Connecticut Ave NW,
|Dupont Circle Residence Inn||$7,800/semester||2120 P St NW, Washington, DC||Link||
|Homewood Suites||$7,600/semester||465 New York Avenue NW, Washington, DC||Link||Niyi Adekanya
|Hampton Inn Navy Yard||$7,600/semester||1265 1st Street SE, Washington DC||Link||James Thomas
$70/night (Minimum of 30 days)
|924 25TH ST NW Washington DC||Link||Travis Breen
Studios starting at $1450/month
One bedroom starting at $1693/month
Two bedrooms starting at $2981/month
4849 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008
|Flats at Bethesda Ave||
7170 Woodmont AvenueBethesda, Maryland 20815
|Washington Hilton||$79 per night (minimum stay of 30 nights)||1919 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC 20009||Link||Jessica Sierra
Marymount University oversees an apartment-style building in