Packing List

As you prepare to check into your new home on-campus, we've developed a checklist of items to bring to campus and what to leave at home.

In Your Room

Each room is furnished with a desk, desk chair, bed, drawers, and shelf space, per resident. We've provided a list of items to best help with your transition at AU. Remember, you will need far less than you imagine and your roommate(s) may bring the same thing as well. 

View the PDF version of our packing list. 

In support of the University's role in its green initiative, we highly recommend all residents to use reusable containers when packing to reduce waste on our campus. 

  • Twin sheets and pillowcases (full sheets for Nebraska Hall)
  • Pillows and blankets
  • Mini fridge (no larger than 4.5 cubic ft.)

  • Alarm clock
  • Non-halogen desk lamp
  • Surge protector power strip with long cord
  • Bath towels
  • Shower shoes or flip flops
  • Toiletries (shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
  • Toiletries caddy
  • Headphones
  • Hangers
  • Wall mounting strips
  • Laundry bag and HE laundry detergent
  • Cleaning supplies
    • Disinfectant wipes/spray
    • Hand sanitizer 
  • Small vacuum
  • Trash and recycling bins
  • Dishes and glasses
  • Eating utensils
  • Water pitcher
  • Thermometer 

Nebraska Hall and the Frequency residents should bring kitchen equipment, cooking appliances, toilet paper and cleaning supplies.

* Cassell, Centennial, and East Campus residents should bring bathroom cleaning supplies and toilet paper.

The items on this list are frequently reviewed by AU Housing & Residence Life and AU Risk Management. It is a violation of the Residence Hall Regulations to bring such items to the AU Residence Halls:

  • Weapons
  • Illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia
  • Fireworks
  • Halogen lamps
  • Open-coil appliances (toasters, hot plates, space heaters, etc.)
  • Grills (including George Foreman)
  • All candles and incense

Items with Exceptions

  • Pets
  • Bed loft
    • Must rent bed lofts via AU Housing Portal
  • MicroFridge & Microwaves
    • Can be rented from MyFridgeRental
      • Microwaves are only allowed in-room when rented from MyFridgeRental as part of a microfridge unit. Microwaves are also available in community kitchens on each residence hall floor.
    • Students may bring a personally-owned refrigerator that is no larger than 4.5 cubic ft. in size.
  • Extension cords
    • Surge protector power strips allowed
  • Electric coffee makers or electric tea kettles
    • Single serve coffee maker with automatic shut-off (ex. Keurig, Bella, etc.)

All cooking devices that produce heat (ex. rice cooker, toaster, crock pot, etc.) may only be used in common (traditional or suite style halls) or in-unit (apartment style halls) kitchens. Students using common-area kitchens can store these devices in their room when not in-use and after they have cooled down. 

The following are required for any heat producing cooking device to be approved in any residence hall: 

  • All heat elements must be enclosed (ex. no stand alone burners or hot plates) 
  • All devices must have an automatic shut-off 
  • All devices must be UL approved