All main campus residence halls except Leonard Hall will close at 12 p.m. (noon) on December 16, 2018 and will not re-open until 3 p.m. on January 6, 2019. Residents should make arrangements to depart for winter break within 24 hours of their last final exam.*
Students who need to remain within the residence halls during this period must complete a Winter Break Housing Request form. This form will become available on November 5, 2018.
* Students who are participating in December graduation are eligible to a later departure of 12 p.m. (noon) on December 17, 2018. Eligible students per the registrar's office will receive a specific e-mail with instructions to confirm if they require the housing extension. This e-mail requires the student to respond in order to remain on campus through noon on December 17.
The Winter Break Housing Request Form will be available 12 p.m. on November 5, 2018 through 5 p.m. on December 3, 2018. All students who agree to Winter Break Housing must read and abide by the Winter Break Housing License Agreement and the Student Code of Conduct.
Main Campus Residents (Except Nebraska Hall and Berkshire Apartments)
- Must be a current AU student living on campus for both the fall and spring semesters.
- Students participating in a one semester program, graduating seniors, or those who have elected to cancel their spring housing are not eligible to remain within the residence halls after fall closing.
Dates and Deadlines
- Requests are only considered for stay between 9 a.m. on December 17, 2018, through 12 p.m. on Sunday, January 6, 2019.
- Deadline to submit your request is December 3, 2018. Anyone who submits a request after this deadline may not be accommodated with break housing.
- Break housing accommodations will be offered in Leonard Hall only.
- Students residing in other main campus buildings will be responsible for moving into Leonard Hall on Monday, December 17.
- Students moving over to Leonard should take everything they will need during the break as there will be no access to other main campus residence halls after December 17 until January 6.
- All rooms are double occupancy and most students will have a roommate. Single rooms are typically not available for break housing.
- Rates are $50 per day for a double occupancy space with a minimum fee of $350 or seven (7) days.
- Charges begin the day a student checks in and end when the student officially checks out. An official check out includes removing all items from the room and rescinding access to the building. Students will be charged for the entirety of their stay, regardless of how many days they choose to physically remain in the room throughout their stay.
- Billing will post to the student account after checkout and within the first two (2) weeks of the spring semester.
- Billing will be adjusted for a proper early check-out for no less than the minimum $350 fee.
Cancellations must be made in writing to email@example.com by December 10, 2018 or $50 administrative charge will be assessed for anyone who cancels after the deadline or does not check-in for break housing.
Terms and Conditions
- All applicants are expected to sign a Winter Break Housing Agreement upon checking in.
- All rules and regulations outlined in the Student Code of Conduct are applicable.
- Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to remove any resident from Winter Break Housing if deemed necessary as indicated in the Housing License Agreement.
Confirmation and Assignment
Students will receive a confirmation of your request and additional instructions by December 12 if the application is received by the deadline. Those who request housing after the deadline may not be accommodated. Room assignments will be made at check-in.
During Your Stay
- Staff contact and emergency information for the break will be posted at the Leonard Hall desk, and the Department of Public Safety can be contacted at any time for assistance at 202-885-2527 (emergency: 202-885-3636).
- Some food locations on campus may be closed or have reduced hours during the break. For more information, you may refer to One Card & Dining Services.
- Shuttle services may be modified during the break.
- There is no access to the main campus residence halls, except for Leonard Hall and Nebraska Hall, during any portion of the winter break.
- Residents must provide their own linens and bedding and should plan accordingly.
Winter Break Transition to Spring Housing
Main campus complex desks (Anderson, Federal, McDowell, and Nebraska) will reopen at 9 a.m. on Sunday, January 6, 2019 for winter break residents to move back into their spring assignments. All other residents may check back into their spring assignments at 3 p.m.
Winter break residents must move to their spring assignment rooms with all personal belongings on January 6, 2019 by 12 p.m. (noon). There are no exceptions to this deadline. Winter break residents will receive checkout instructions at check-in and/or during the break.
Nebraska Hall Residents
Nebraska Hall will remain open over winter break for resident occupancy. Please note that the front desk will be closed and will not reopen until 9 a.m. on January 6, 2019.
Students who plan to remain in Nebraska Hall for any time between December 16, 2018 and January 6, 2019 are required to complete the Winter Break Housing Request form by the deadline. There are no charges for fall Nebraska residents who request winter break housing.
Students who terminate their housing for the spring semester, are not eligible to remain during the break and must vacate the apartment by 12 p.m. noon on December 16, 2018*. Students must properly check out of their assignment by contacting their RA. Please see noted exception above for graduating seniors.
Berkshire Apartments Residents
Students living at the Berkshire Apartments (through Housing & Residence Life) are not required to leave their apartments for winter break, as long as they are scheduled to live on campus for Spring 2019.
Students who plan to remain in Berkshire Apartments for any time between December 16, 2018 and January 6, 2019 are required to complete the Winter Break Housing Request form by the deadline. There are no charges for fall Berkshire residents who request winter break housing.
Students who terminate their housing for the spring semester or are participating in a one semester program, are not eligible to remain during the break and must vacate the apartment by 12 p.m. noon on December 16, 2018*. Students must properly check-out of their assignment by contacting their community coordinator. Please see noted exception above for graduating seniors.