"We need people that care about our society, and think that facts and information matter. And somebody's got to watch those in power, bottom line."
Professor Chuck Lewis, Executive Editor of the SOC Investigative Reporting Workshop shares his thoughts on why training the next generation of investigative journalists matters.
Briona Arradondo, SOC/MA '11
At first, I was in disbelief, then shock and awe since it was my first Emmy win.
Arrandondo currently files reports for WSMV early evening newscasts and occasionally fills in on the anchor desk for their morning and noon newscasts. She previously worked as a reporter at WTVC-TV in Chattanooga, TN and also worked as a weekend anchor and reporter at WTOV-TV in Steubenville, OH.
Over the past year, SOC has hosted top journalists including:
- Former Univision anchor Maria Elena Salinas
- Washington Post Editor Martin Baron
- CNN's Jake Tapper
- ABC News Senior White House Correspondent and SOC alumna Cecilia Vega
- NBC White House correspondent Kristen Welker
- Washington Post White House reporter and SOC MA alumna Seung Min Kim
- We embed students on the Washington Post investigative team where they work alongside professionals, contributing to in-depth, published projects.
- We leverage our long-standing relationships with NPR, NBC, CNN, CBS, Vox, National Geographic, Bloomberg BNA, USA TODAY and many more to provide you with exceptional internship, fellowship and career opportunities.
The latest on our students, alumni, professors and programs. Want more? Sign up for our newsletter.
Lauren Lumpkin is returning to AU this fall for her Masters in Journalism in Public Affairs.
On October 10th, NBC News Political Director and Meet the Press moderator Chuck Todd joined SOC and Professor Jane Hall for a conversation about the latest explosive developments in news and politics.
Professor Jill Olmsted says the most rewarding part of her AU career has been seeing the success of her former students.
The scholarship will be awarded each year to a student in journalism at the School of Communication who shows promise in the field of investigative journalism.