Within Human Resources, our Workplace Learning and Development team of training professionals are dedicated to helping you make the most of your skills, whatever your level, in a positive and supportive work environment. As you develop performance management plans for yourself and for your staff, we encourage you to take advantage of these professional workshops.
These courses are offered throughout the year to facilitate integrating new staff into the university environment and to meet regulatory and policy requirements. Supervisors and managers are required to take several additional courses.
Full-Time AU Staff and Faculty Managers of Staff
It's all about U. Our new system, AsuccessfulU and specifically the "Learning" module, is all about what you KNOW, KNEW, and WILL KNOW. Register for professional development courses, track your training, and more in our Learning module.
If you are a Faculty member who does not supervise staff, please click here for more information about training classes at AU.
- All New Staff
- New Hire Orientation (HR will automatically register you for this after you are hired)
- Performance Management Program Overview and Goal Setting (online)
- Performance Management Program: The Mid-year Discussion (online)
- Performance Management Program: The Year-end Appraisal (online)
- Compensation at AU: An Overview of the Staff Compensation Program (online)
- Unlawful Harassment Prevention for High Ed Staff (online)
- Preventing Discrimination and Sexual Violence: Title IX and the SaVE Act for Faculty and Staff (online)
- Service Plus
Managers, Dept Chairs, Faculty Supervisors
Courses above, plus:
- Unlawful Harassment Prevention Supervisor Supplement for High Ed Staff (online)
- People Management Basics
- Fiscal Management Basics
- Creating a Service Culture
- PMP Goal Setting: "Setting Performance Expectations" (online or in-person)
- PMP Year-end Appraisals: "Reviewing Performance Progress" (online or in-person)
Managers may also wish to participate in Professional Development Courses or our Certificate Program. To view the full list of classes and certificates, see our Professional Development page.
*Please note, you are only required to take Preventing Harassment, Promoting Respect: Managers, not Preventing Harassment, Promoting Respect: Staff
Professional Development Courses and Certificates
The cornerstone of our Professional Development offerings is our certificate program, visit the Professional Development page to learn more about certificates and additional courses.
Log-in to Learning to browse the online catalog and register for training.
View the course catalog of Professional Development and Wellness courses.
Faculty who are interested in registering for a professional development training offered by Human Resources can send their name, AU ID, and session title to AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
Confirmation of registration will be sent to your AU e-mail address. If you wish to cancel, send an e-mail to AsuccessfulU@american.edu.