Our Admissions Committee is interested in knowing about you, including your academic interests and life outside of the classroom. The application is used for this purpose. Additional information from your transcripts, essays and letter of recommendation helps them evaluate you on your own academic merits. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Students may apply online through the Common Application. A nonrefundable $75 application fee or fee waiver is required of all applicants.
Transfer Application Deadlines
- May 1
- Students living in the U.S.: November 1
- Students living outside the U.S.: September 1
- U.S. citizens: April 1
Complete both the the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and CSS Profile if you wish to be considered for need-based aid. As financial aid is limited, transfers are encouraged to submit the FAFSA and CSS Profile well before the May 1 and November 1 deadlines.
Transfer Application Checklist
Common Application, including the application essay
Submit the nonrefundable $75 application fee or application fee waiver
Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- High school transcripts only if you have less than 24 semester hours
Interruption of study. If you have been out of school for a semester or longer, excluding summers and school-designated breaks, you must provide us with a statement describing your activities during the period(s) you were out of school. You may submit a resume instead of a statement if the resume explains the interruption.
Send your application materials. Supporting documents may be sent electronically via the Common Application or you may mail supporting documents to the following address:
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8001
One letter of recommendation is optional for transfer students. You can select and assign at least one Academic Evaluator within the Common Application.
Submit the College Report. All enrolling transfer students must submit the College Report. Please have a college official from your current or most recent institution complete the College Report as soon as you submit your enrollment deposit. This form ensures that you are in good academic standing at your current or most recent institution. You can access the form the through the Common Application:
1. On the Recommendations tab for the American University Program Materials, please select the College Report link.
2. Select the College Report to get a PDF
3. Download the form
4. Submit the form to the Registrar/College Official and have them mail the completed form directly to American University.
Minimum Admissions Requirements
Students who wish to be considered for transfer admission must be in good academic and social standing at all previously attended schools. Competitive transfer applicants have a GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 at their current institution. The following AU academic units have specific minimum GPA requirements:
- College of Arts and Sciences: 2.00
- Kogod School of Business: 2.75
- School of Communication: 2.50
- School of Education: 2.70
- School of International Service: 3.00
- School of Public Affairs: 2.50
If a student is admissible to AU but does not meet the GPA requirement for their desired AU school or college, we will consider the student's application for admission to the College of Arts and Sciences as an undecided major.
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language (code 5007): Internet based test (iBT) score of 80 or higher. Sub-scores for each section of the TOEFL should be 20 or higher.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Composite score of 6.5 or higher. Sub-scores for each section of the IELTS should be 6.0 or higher.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Score of 53 or higher.
- SAT Reading sub-score of 29 or higher
When Will I Hear?
Your application will be reviewed only after your file is complete. You will be notified via email of missing documents, however, you should also check your application status through the Future Eagle Portal. You will be notified of your admission decision on a rolling basis after all admission materials have been received. Notification of your financial aid package (if applicable) will be sent at a later date.