Coaching services for the fall 2021 semester resume Tuesday, September 7, 2021 and run through the last day of classes: December 10, 2021.
Coaching services are on hold. The booking system for the fall 2021 semester will be made available on Friday, September 3, 2021.
For best availability, book your coaching session in advance using the online booking system.
- Click the booking button below
- Choose the language you need
- Select the time you want to come visit us
Language coaching is offered at no charge to students enrolled in a language course at American University. It is available during CLEAR's regular operating hours.
For the most up-to-date availability, we encourage to kindly book your session in advance through the online booking system.
The policy governing the coaching of students in languages taught by the Department of World Languages and Cultures was coordinated and approved by the faculty of the department and identifies activities, and assistance coaches may provide while working with students.
Below is a list of areas for coaching services:
Speaking and Listening
- Oral comprehension
- Oral presentation rehearsal
- Review of recorded oral practice
- If students come for help with an oral or written presentation, coaches will ask leading questions and look for general problems (clarity, organization, grammatical points, etc.). The coaching sessions must be language sessions rather than coaches serving as copy editors. The students can then go back on their own to correct the remaining errors.
- Review of grammatical concepts
- If students come for help with workbook or grammar exercises, coaches will start them with one or two examples and only go over major concepts of the exercise.
- Collaborative review of completed homework exercises
- Any exercises or homework assignment must be completed or a reasonable attempt at completion must be apparent.
- Revising essays for clarity
- Polishing finished drafts
- Reviewing a final graded essay
- Pre/post test review
- Coaches will NOT help students with anything marked "Exam" or "Take Home Exam" unless it has already been graded by the professor.