- Fall priority admission: December 1
- Spring or Summer admission
- Required materials
- Application form and fee
- Statement of purpose*
- 3 Letters of recommendation
- Interview (invitation only)
- GRE scores: Please notify Program Director Mark Laubach (email@example.com)if not submitting GRE scores, which can be waived for the 2020-21 application cycle.
*Statement of Purpose should include the names of the faculty mentor(s) you would like to work with and a description of your research interests, experiences, and career goals.
Please note: There is a December 1st application deadline—fall admission only.
The Program admits students to work with specific faculty members. BCaN student do not rotate through multiple labs prior to selecting their mentor. Prospective students should contact faculty pursuing research topics of interest and inquire if they are accepting students in the coming year and possibly arrange to discuss research options directly with the prospective mentor.
The department tries to fund all the PhD students in the BCAN program. These funds are based on merit and come from American University or personal grants. They cover full tuition as well as a stipend, which includes a Teaching Assistantship. If needed, students can apply for extended funding or find their own funding.