The Applied Music Program in the Department of Performing Arts provides students with private one-on-one instruction with a member of our applied music faculty. Applied Music study is a requirement of all music majors, and included in the curriculum of many performing arts courses of study.
Interested students must complete and submit the Applied Music Registration Permission Form.
In order to register for Applied Music lessons for university credit (MUS-121, 122, 791, 792), you must fulfill ONE of the following credit requirements:
- officially declared a major or minor in Music prior to registration.
- officially declared a major in Theatre or Musical Theatre prior to registration.
- officially declared a major in Audio Technology prior to registration.
- officially declared a major in Business and Music prior to registration.
- enrolled in the graduate Arts Management program prior to registration.
- enrolled or actively participating in one of the following DPA ensembles during the intended semester of private study: AU Symphony Orchestra, AU Chorus, Chamber Ensembles, Chamber Singers, Gospel Choir, Jazz Ensemble, Pep Band, Wind Ensemble, or Workshop.
- will be actively involved in a DPA mainstage production which requires vocal or instrumental performance during the intended semester of private study.
Students who do not match one of these requirements have the option of taking private lessons for non-credit (MUS-021 and MUS-022). Special course fees apply.
All students registering for Applied Music (MUS-121, 122, 334, 434) must register for and attend AMPL, a corequisite Applied Music Performance Lab (MUS-001). This zero credit lab meets Wednesdays from 11:20am-12:35pm in the Abramson Family Recital Hall. Requirements for all registrants will be provided by your instructor as part of your Applied Music syllabus. Students take this course as a Pass/Fall option only, not for a grade option.
Contact Applied Music Director, NJ Snider, firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help and/or have questions.
Please see individual instructors on Music Faculty page.