The sociology department runs two listservs: department and undergraduate. The listservs are one of the main ways that information is distributed to students and faculty in the department. Below are instructions on how to subscribe, unsubscribe, and other useful details. If you have any other questions please contact the department office (see below left).
- Using the e-mail account you want subscribed, send an e-mail message to <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
- In the Subject Line, type SUBSCRIBE
- In the Body, type the following line depending on the listserv you wish to sign up for, followed by your name:
(department) SUBSCRIBE SOCIO-L Firstname Lastname
(undergraduate) SUBSCRIBE UGSOCIO-L Firstname Lastname
- Send the message
You will receive an automatic confirmation message in your e-mail account soon afterwards, and will immediately begin receiving postings in your e-mail account.
- Using the email account you want deleted, send an e-mail message to <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
- In the Subject Line type SIGNOFF
- In the Body type the following line depending on the listserve you were subscribed to, fllowed by your name:
(department) SIGNOFF SOCIO-L Firstname Lastname
(undergraduate) SIGNOFF UGSOCIO-L Firstname Lastname
- Send the message
To Post a Message
To send a message to all subscribers send an email to:
You will receive an automated confirmation that your message was posted.
There are many people subscribed to each listserv. Any message you post will be distributed to all subscribers so please make sure that your message is relevant and useful. If you wish to send a personal message, check that you use the email address of the person you wish to contact instead of the listserv address. The 'reply-to' address given to you in your message will by default be the listserv address so this is an easy mistake to make!