American University Library is committed to diversity and inclusion by providing an inclusive, welcoming, and adaptable environment for the community. We recognize that this is an ongoing process and aim to engage in diversity and inclusion as more than just numeric representation. We will continue to work on intentionally diversifying our personnel, services, and collections in meaningful ways.
Inclusive Technology Initiative
The Inclusive Technology Initiative was created in 2022 by a working group composed of partners in the University Library, the Office of Information Technology, Campus Life, and Financial Aid. The goal of this initiative is to support our students who are in great need of technology support. To date, the working group has committed to providing laptop computers, full warranty maintenance, and technology training for 58 qualified students. In addition, more students will be identified with help of Financial Aid Office to receive this support this year.
In the coming years, the working group’s goal is to secure additional annual funding to cover a broader need base. For more information about receiving support through this program, please visit the technology support resource. To find out how to contribute to this initiative, please contact Nicole Weaver, Chief Development Officer – email@example.com.
Food for Fines Program
For more than twenty years, the Library has partnered with the AU community to provide selected food items for those in need, while giving Library users a break on fines. This program typically runs between November and December every year. Please check back for details closer to the program time.
Green Team Initiative
The AU Library is committed to the University's vision for an eco-conscious campus. Here are some ways we are working to further this goal and how you can help:
- Go Green & Recycle E-Waste: Moving old computers and cell phones out of your life, and out of the waste stream.
- Eco-Smart Library Tote Bags for Sale!: Help keep the waste-stream free of non-biodegradable plastic. Visit the Information Desk to purchase today!
- Help the Library compost: More than half of the trash produced in the library can be composted and reused.
- 100% recycled paper: All printing in the Library is on 100% post-consumer paper.
The Library uses 100 percentpost-consumer paper
- The Library has a Environmental Science subject guide that provides lists of databases, web sites, books, CD-ROMs, videos and DVDs on the study of the environment.
- Check out or stream a film from the Library's Environmental Studies collection. Available exclusively to AU students, staff and faculty.