American University Library is committed to diversity and inclusion by providing an inclusive, welcoming, and adaptable environment for the community. We recognize that this is an ongoing process and aim to engage in diversity and inclusion as more than just numeric representation. We will continue to work on intentionally diversifying our personnel, services, and collections in meaningful ways.
Food for Fines Program
For more than twenty years, the Library has partnered with the AU community to provide selected food items for those in need, while giving Library users a break on fines. Learn more about this annual campaign on the Event page.
Green Team Initiative
The AU Library is committed to the University's vision for an eco-conscious campus. Here are some ways we are working to further this goal and how you can help:
- Go Green & Recycle E-Waste: Moving old computers and cell phones out of your life, and out of the waste stream.
- Eco-Smart Library Tote Bags for Sale!: Help keep the waste-stream free of non-biodegradable plastic. Visit the Information Desk to purchase today!
- Help the Library compost: More than half of the trash produced in the library can be composted and reused.
- 100% recycled paper: All printing in the Library is on 100% post-consumer paper.
The Library uses 100 percent post-consumer paper
- The Library has a Environmental Science subject guide that provides lists of databases, web sites, books, CD-ROMs, videos and DVDs on the study of the environment.
- Check out or stream a film from the Library's Environmental Studies collection. Available exclusively to AU students, staff and faculty.