Academic Support and Access Center Workshop Series
In addition to individual consultations, we offer workshops each fall and spring on a variety of reading, writing, and study skills topics. Students are welcome to attend any workshop; reservations are not required. The current workshop schedule is available in Quick Links.
- Keep your syllabus handy for each class. It is your guide for the entire semester. Note exams, papers, and projects on a semester calendar.
- Talk with your professors and your academic advisor.
- Familiarize yourself with the campus and its resources.
- Set priorities in your life and get control of your time.
- Arrange a regular study area - comfortable, but not TOO comfortable - where you are most effective.
- Develop successful study strategies for reading textbooks, taking notes, and studying for exams.
- Continually improve your writing skills . For instance, visit the Writing Lab or Writing Center.
- Take academic integrity seriously . Consult a writer's handbook, a faculty member, a reference librarian, or seek writing assistance if you're not sure how to cite sources or what constitutes plagiarism.
- Stay healthy and reduce stress . Sleep 6 to 8 hours every night, eat well, exercise regularly, and have fun.
Ask for help when you need it, before there is a problem.