You are here: Documentation and Eligibility

Getting Started with Disability Accommodations

To receive disability accommodations for the first time at American University, you must register with the Academic Support and Access Center by submitting documentation and completing the three-step process outlined below.

The Three-Step Process


  1. Complete and return the Student Accommodations Questionnaire (SAQ).
  2. Submit documentation of your disability. See guidelines below. (Documentation may be uploaded as part of Step 1.)
  3. Call 202-885-3360 to schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss your requested accommodations.


Steps 1 & 2 should be completed by the respective priority deadlines below. Documentation submitted after the priority deadlines will be reviewed in a timely fashion, but accommodation decision-making and implementation cannot be guaranteed by the beginning of the semester.

Priority Deadlines*:
For Fall 2018 - July 15, 2018
For Spring 2019 - December 1, 2018
For Summer 2019 - April 1, 2019

*Deadlines associated with traditional academic calendar. Students enrolling in programs with alternate calendars should submit their documentation for review upon paying enrollment deposit. As these are priority deadlines, missing the deadline does not make you ineligible for receiving accommodations.

Once Steps 1 & 2 have been completed, the student will be notified by an ASAC Disability Access Advisor regarding the decision. If accommodations are approved, the decision is provisional pending completion of Step 3. Step 3 should be completed in-person during the first few weeks of the semester or over the summer. Please note, if additional documentation/information is needed students will be contacted by a Disability Access Advisor.

Review of documentation typically takes 1-2 weeks; however, this time may be longer during high volume months.

Documentation Guidelines

If you have a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities, you may be eligible for disability-related accommodations. To determine eligibility, we will need, from an appropriate, licensed health care professional, comprehensive and relevant documentation that explains the impact of your disability and makes a recommendation for accommodation.

Disabilities (other than learning disabilities)

For disabilities including ADHD, autism spectrum, hearing, medical/chronic illness, neurological, physical, psychological, sensory, speech/language, traumatic brain injury, and vision, the Documentation Guidelines for Requesting Disability-Related Accommodations describes in detail the information necessary to support a request for academic accommodations. Included with the guidelines is a form that can be used by your provider to assist in making sure we have the information we need to consider the request.

Learning Disabilities

A current psychoeducational or neuropsychological report is strongly encouraged to document a learning disability. The Documentation Guidelines for Requesting Accommodations for Learning Disabilities describes in detail the information we need to support a request for academic accommodations.

Temporary injuries or conditions

To request accommodations for a temporary injury, such as a broken limb, please schedule an appointment with an ASAC counselor.


If you wish to request disability-related housing accommodations, you must:

  1. Follow the ASAC three-step process,
  2. Submit documentation that specifically addresses the disability-related housing accommodation being requested,
  3. Submit the Disability-Related Housing Accommodation Request Form, and
  4. Participate in the general housing application process through Housing & Dining Programs (HDP) and meet all HDP deadlines.

All Disability Related Housing Information

Food Allergy

If you wish to request a disability-related accommodation due to a food allergy that substantially limits major life activities, you must follow the ASAC three-step process and meet with Dining Services' licensed, registered dietician. Detailed information about this process and guidelines for the documentation needed to support your request can be found at Food Allergy Accommodations for Students.

Animals on Campus

Emotional Support / Therapy / Assistance Animals may be approved as a disability-related housing accommodation with appropriate documentation, specifically a letter from a licensed professional who is familiar with your disability and explains why the animal is necessary for you to live in the residence hall. Detailed information about this process and guidelines for the documentation needed to support your request can be found at: Animals on Campus. Documents certifying the animal as an Emotional Support/ Therapy / Assistance Animal are not sufficient to support such requests.

If you use a service animal (a dog or miniature horse trained to perform specific tasks related to your disability), we encourage you to register the presence of your animal, but registering a service animal is not required.

Math Placement Test

If you are an incoming undergraduate, either freshman or transfer, you must take the math placement test. You will not be eligible to register for classes until you have taken the math placement test.

To request disability accommodations, such as extended time, for this test, see Requesting Accommodations on the Math Placement Test.

General information about the Math Placement Test can be found here on the Math & Stat Department website.

Policies and Procedures

Please visit our Policies and Procedures page for more information.