The Fall 2020 AUx Peer Facilitator application and recommendation form were due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 1.
Please check back in Fall 2020 for information on applying for Spring 2021.
The AUx Peer Facilitator plays an essential role in the AUx courses by serving as a role model and mentor to students in their first-year at AU.
Peer Facilitators serve as co-facilitators for two sections of either AUx1 or AUx2, and will typically be paired with the same staff or faculty Instructor for both sections.
They are expected to attend all once-a-week AUx classes for their two assigned sections and assist the Instructor by offering their unique perspective as an AU student.
Peer Facilitators have a variety of responsibilities including updating their first-year students about campus events and activities and encouraging their participation; and coordinating with the assigned Instructor on course planning, teaching, and classroom management/logistics.
- Participate in two-day intensive Peer Facilitator training on August 16 and August 17
- Fulfill additional Move-In/All-American Welcome Week responsibilities
- Attend both weekly AUx classes and contribute to facilitating classroom discussions
- Meet weekly with their AUx Instructor counterpart to coordinate course planning, teaching, and classroom logistics
- Hold weekly office hours
- Attend monthly Peer Facilitator meetings led by AUx Program staff (dates to be announced)
- Mentor new students in adjusting to life at AU and becoming academically/personally oriented to AU
- Sophomore or in their second year at AU in fall 2020 semester and have a minimum of 30 credits completed
- Successfully completed both AUx1 and AUx2 prior to start date, unless it was not a requirement for you
- Maintain at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average
- Be in good judicial standing
- Demonstrated leadership in the American University community
- Note: students are not permitted to serve as a Resident Assistant (RA’s) or Complex Problems/University College Program Leader during the same semester in which they serve as an AUx Peer Facilitator
- Peer Facilitators work approximately 8 to 10 hours per week and earn $15.00 per hour worked
- Position is open to FWS and non-FWS students
- Positions are available for both AUx1 and AUx2 courses
- Please note that we anticipate having between 15-20 vacant positions
- Submit online application by 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 1
- Have an AU Faculty or Staff member fill out a recommendation form by 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 1
- If invited, attend an interview
- Applications are due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 1st. Please note you will be asked to upload a copy of your resume.
- Have an AU Faculty or Staff member fill out a recommendation form by 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 1.