The deadline to apply to be a Spring 2021 AUx Peer Facilitator has passed. Please check back here in mid-February for details about the Fall 2021 application process.
The Peer Facilitator plays an essential role in the AUx courses by serving as a role model and a mentor to students in their first year at AU.
Peer Facilitators serve as co-facilitators for two sections of either AUx1 or AUx2, and will typically be paired with the same staff or faculty Instructor for both sections. They are expected to attend all once-a-week AUx classes for their two assigned sections and assist the Instructor by offering their unique perspective as an AU student. Peer Facilitators have various responsibilities, including updating their students about campus events and activities, encouraging their participation, and coordinating with the assigned Instructor on course planning, teaching, and classroom management/logistics.
- Participate in Peer Facilitator training (dates to be announced)
- Attend weekly AUx classes and contribute to facilitating classroom dialogues
- Meet weekly with your AUx Instructor counterpart to coordinate course planning, teaching, and classroom logistics
- Hold weekly office hours
- Attend monthly Peer Facilitator meetings led by AUx Program staff (dates to be announced)
- Meet with your assigned Senior Peer Facilitator
- Provide mentorship to students who are becoming academically/personally oriented to AU
- Sophomore standing or in their second year at AU with a minimum of 30 credits completed
- Completed both AUx1 and AUx2 before the start date, unless it was not a requirement for you
- Maintain at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average
- Be in good judicial standing
- Demonstrated leadership in the American University community
- Note: students are not permitted to serve as a Resident Assistant (RA’s) or Complex Problems/University College Program Leader during the same semester in which they serve as an AUx Peer Facilitator
- Peer Facilitators work approximately 8 to 10 hours per week and earn $15.00 per hour worked
- Position is open to FWS and non-FWS students
- Positions are available for both AUx1 and AUx2 courses
- Please note that we anticipate having a limited number of vacant positions (10-15)
- Submit online application by 11:59 pm on Sunday, October 25th
- Have an AU Faculty or Staff member fill out a recommendation form by 11:59 pm on Sunday, October 25th
- If invited, attend an interview
- Applications are due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, Ocotober 25th. Please note you will be asked to upload a copy of your resume.
- Have an AU Faculty or Staff member fill out a recommendation form by 11:59 pm on Sunday, October 25th.