There's a place for you on Staff Council!
Staff Council elections occur each June to build our governing body of 23 members. In addition to liaising with constituencies around campus, our members lead internal committees and represent staff on university-wide committees as well. Our members page highlights our current Staff Council liaisons, their constituencies, and the committees they participate in to serve and support our community.
Your Staff Council Liaisons continue to serve on a variety of committees, including but not limited to, the Board of Trustees committees, the Dining Services Project Team, and the university Rewards and Recognition Committee.
We also encourage you to join one of our committees (contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested):
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee: Coordinates and guides the Staff Council’s work on issues of Diversity and Inclusion on campus – particularly as they affect American University staff members. This committee is responsible for both coordinating ongoing projects and responding to individual incidents or situations that affect the American University Community.
- Service Committee: Coordinates community assistance (book/media swap, prom dress drive, professional clothing drive, etc.) and fundraising efforts, of both regular (blood drives, annual turkey drive, dollar challenge, etc.) and emergency (disaster relief) nature.
- Strategic Communications Committee: Oversee the website, social media, and all outgoing communications from the Council to the AU community.
- Staff Development & Recognition Committee: Plan events such as receptions, conferences, and other leadership and professional development opportunities. This committee will also coordinate recognition and community building events for Staff Council members and the wider staff community.
- Staff Experience Committee: Responsible for responding to the shifting needs of the Staff Council, this committee will work to address issues affecting staff brought to us by members or the wider staff population. The committee will develop outreach and plans to address issues or route them to other units as needed.
When it comes to events, visit the What We Do section of the website to see the annual and signature events of Staff Council. If you have ideas for other events or service opportunities or are interested in interacting more with Staff Council, we welcome you to attend our meetings held every first and third Tuesday of every month from 11:30am to 1:00pm. View our meeting locations in the Attend Our Meetings section, reach out at email@example.com, or ask a current Staff Council member for the locations of our meetings as they typically rotate between main campus, WCL, SVB, and 4401 Connecticut Ave.
On behalf of the Staff Council, thank you for all that you do for the university and please let us know how we can help you be even more successful!
The Staff Council Executive Leadership Team
Andrew Toczydlowski (Chair), Jen Tether (Vice Chair), and Jason Kennedy (Administrator)