The Athletics Committee is concerned with issues, policies and resources related to University athletics and recreation.
Committee Members, 2019-2021
- Alan L. Meltzer, Chair
- Charles H. Lydecker, Vice Chair
- Gina F. Adams
- Jack C. Cassell
- Michael W. Kempner
- Betsy A. Mangone
- Cabinet Members:
- Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations Courtney Surls
- Director of Athletics and Recreation William Walker
- Campus Representatives:
- Alumni Association
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Council
- Student Government
The Athletics Committee shall concern itself with issues, policies and resources related to all aspects of University athletics and recreation.
The following are excerpts addressing committee organization from the American University Bylaws (Article VII: Standing Committees, as amended February 19, 2009):
Section 1. The Standing Committees shall be as follows: Academic Affairs Committee; Athletics Committee; Audit Committee; Campus Life Committee: Compensation Committee; Development Committee; Finance and Investment Committee; and Trusteeship Committee.
Section 2. Nominations of Standing Committee officers and members for two-year terms shall be made by the Trusteeship Committee at the Spring Board meeting. The Vice Chair of the Board shall be the Trusteeship Committee Chair, and Trusteeship Committee members shall be appointed by the Board or Executive Committee. Vacancies on Standing Committees shall be nominated by the Trusteeship Committee and approved by the Board or Executive Committee for any unexpired term. Vacancies on the Trusteeship Committee shall be filled by the Board or Executive Committee.
. . .
Section 5. The Athletics Committee consists of at least four (4) trustees and is concerned with University policies and issues related to athletics and recreation. This Committee has such powers and duties, and shall operate in accordance with such procedures, as shall be set forth in a Committee charter, and any amendments thereto, approved by the Board.
. . .
Section 11. A majority of members of any Standing Committee constitutes a quorum at any meeting thereof. Standing Committee members may participate in Standing Committee meetings by teleconference, which shall constitute presence in person at the meeting. With the exception of the Executive, Audit, and Trusteeship Committees, any voting trustee may in the discretion of the committee chair stand in the place of a committee member for purposes of establishing a quorum and voting in committee.
Roles and Responsibilities
Guided by the university's Statement of Common Purpose and its strategic planning, the Athletics Committee is concerned with such matters as student-athlete success, including academics, graduation and life skills; athletic team success; branding; athletics development; alumni engagement; licensing; facilities; school spirit; community building; competition; healthy lifestyles; and recreation.
The Athletics Committee will:
- Review and evaluate academic, competitive and other departmental data to ensure that the programs within the department reflect the University's mission, strategies and priorities.
- Ensure that the department has the resources available to support initiatives for student-athlete growth and development.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Director of Athletics and Recreation in his or her development of the department's plans, goals and programs.
- Ensure that the program is a focal point for school spirit, builds community and provides a positive contribution to the university brand.
- Ensure that the department's students are graduating and performing academically at a level that reflects the high standards of American University.
Updated November 2019