Offering graduate and undergraduate programs in Biostatistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Quantitative Analysis, and Statistics.
For mathematics help at the undergraduate level, visit the Tutoring Center.
Statistical Consulting Center
For graduate, undergraduate, and faculty statistics help, visit the Statistical Consulting Center.
See more about our summer program and more Student Research.
Tate Altman won the Graduate Physical Sciences Workshop Award at the Mathias Student Research Conference.
- Data science grad students Haiman Wong, Elizabeth Marge, Jingyi Xu and Doudou Shi, working with faculty Richard Ressler and Maria Barouti, are featured in Can Data Literacy Be Fun? The Census Bureau Is Building an App for That.
- The department extends heartfelt congratulations to Shalini Ramachandra, Jana Cohen, Amanda Muniz, Mingfan Meng for being awarded the 2021 Frank Cox Jones Scholarship for Women in Mathematics and Lydia Rees for being awarded the 2021 Hanna Miriam Sandler and Bella Sandler Scholarship.
- Jana Cohen was awarded $4,500, comprised of $2,500 from the NASA District of Columbia Space Grant Consortium (DCSGC) and $2,000 from the CAS Mathias Research Fellowship and other AU sources.
- Dr. James Dickens was featured in a Stats + Stories podcast on Data Science in the Classroom.
- A U-statistic approach to population genetics: Dr. David Gerard was awarded a grant in the amount of $188,694.00 from the National Science Foundation.
AU Alum Misrak Gezmu, PhD, is a biostatistician at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NAID), National Institutes of Health (NIH). She earned her PhD in statistics from American University in 1996. She taught at Norfolk State University before starting at NIH. Dr. Gezmu was elected a Fellow of the American Statistical Association in May 2022.
- How statistics can aid in the fight against misinformation: Dr. Zois Boukouvalas and Dr. Nathalie Japkowicz were featured in a story for a new site on Medium about cybersecurity.
- Stephen Casey was awarded a three-year grant for $228,269 from
the Air Force Office of Scientific Research: Novel techniques for signal analysis and processing, 2020-2023; his book Sampling: Theory and Applications was recently published; and he won the Distinguished Alumni in the Sciences from Drew University.
- Monica Jackson received a $29,824 grant from the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) for “The Summer Program In Research And Learning SPIRAL at American University” April 2021
- Michael Robinson received a $20,500 grant from Battelle Memorial Institute and the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) for his project “HyperThesis DARPA Modeling Adversarial Activity (MAA)” April 2021
- Zois Boukouvalas was granted $160,000 from Energetics Technology Center, with prime funding from the Office of Naval Research, for his project called "Human Assisted Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Approaches for Energetics." January 2021
- Zois Boukouvalas was granted $200,000 from Energetics Technology Center, with prime funding from the Office of Naval Research, for his project titled "Data-Driven Multi-model Fusion for the Analysis of Energetic Material Systems." December 2020