Welcome to the homepage for the Mathematics Placement test. Please carefully read the answers to some important questions below.
IMPORTANT: IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN EMAIL ON YOUR AMERICAN UNIVERSITY EMAIL ACCOUNT FROM THE MATH DEPARTMENT PROMPTING YOU TO TAKE THE PLACEMENT TEST, YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO ACCESS IT AT THIS TIME. YOU WILL BE ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE TEST AFTER RECEIVING THE INVITATION TO DO SO FROM THE MATH DEPARTMENT.
IF YOU ARE RECEIVING A NON ELIGIBLE MESSAGE PLEASE WAIT ONE HOUR AND TRY LOGGING BACK IN AGAIN.
1) All American University students are expected to demonstrate mathematical or statistical proficiency before completing 30 credits at AU. Most students do this by taking a course. Other ways to satisfy the University Mathematics Requirement include appropriate AP Calculus and Statistics scores, IB exam scores, or transfer credits for Calculus from another college. For details see: http://www.american.edu/provost/undergrad/undergrad-rules-and-regulations.cfm#8.3
2) All incoming students to American University, either transfers or freshmen, must take the mathematics placement test, including special programs students (Washington Mentorship Program, UM in DC, International Gateway Program etc.) and non-degree students who want to take a math or stat class. Even if you have AP, IB, or transfer credit for a mathematics class from another university, you still must take the placement test. Any student who has not taken the mathematics placement test will not be eligible to register for classes.
3) No. This test simply places you in an appropriate class. Cheating on this test is an academic code violation and could lead to being placed into a class beyond your capabilities. Intentionally doing poorly on this test could lead to having to take additional mathematics classes.
5) The test is 32 multiple choice questions and you are allowed up to 45 minutes. You must be the person who is taking the test. Once the test has started, you must finish it. You cannot stop and come back to it later. Do not sign in unless you are ready to take and complete the test. Make sure you click on SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT when you finish answering all the questions and you are ready to submit your test. If you need additional time due to learning or medical disability, please see question 9 on accommodations.
7) This test is intended to be taken on a computer and not an Ipad, an android tablet, or a smartphone. You should take the test on a computer which is operating normally and has a reliable unrestricted high-speed internet connection and up-to-date browser. Try to avoid computers at your school or in public places, since usually they have restrictions to access external websites and you may not be able to access the test from there. We will not grant extra time or attempts to retake the test due to difficulties with your computer or internet connection. Please see question 10 if your computer or internet connection completely fails. Follow this link for a list of minimal system requirements for your computer and internet browser: www.maplesoft.com/products/system_requirements.aspx#mapleta
8) You will receive your score via email on your AU email account in the next 24 hours after you take the test. Students who take the test during weekends receive their score on the following Monday.
9) If you would like to request disability-related accommodations on the placement test, please complete the following request form:
The online test can only be taken once, so you will want to arrange for your accommodations before taking it. In order to approve accommodations, we will need to review your disability documentation in advance. Please forward your documentation as soon as possible to the Academic Support and Access Center by fax to 202-885-1042 or e-mail to email@example.com.
10) If you have received the email from the Math Department prompting you to take the test, and still see a message saying you are not eligible to take the test, please wait up to one hour and try to log in again then. If after one hour you are still not able to access the test please contact the AU Office of Information Technology in any of the following ways:
11) In case of technical issues we are able to verify, you are allowed to request to retake the exam on paper without the use of a calculator. You can choose to retake the test during Eagle Summit or when you are on campus. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your retake.