American University is eager to welcome students and their families/friends to campus between Sunday, August 21 and Sunday, August 28. Each student will be pre-assigned a move-in date and time (move-in timeslot) based on their housing classification. Students can then change their move-in timeslot based on preference.
Please review the move-in calendar and move-in process below to prepare for your big day!
More detailed information will be shared in July. HRL will share maps of campus, where to park to avoid move-in traffic, and more! Here is the rough outline of what to expect:
- Arrive at your assigned gate. You will be assisted with plenty of signs and volunteers so that you know where to go! Please have your Move-in Car Hangtag visible through your car window. Please arrive as close to your move-in window as possible. The move-in timeslots are set to provide a smooth move-in day. We understand that DC traffic may delay your arrival. Again, please arrive as close to your window as possible.
- Vehicles will be unloaded by the Move-in Team. The move-in team will take it to your items to your room and will be waiting for your return.
- Check-in Process After the car is unloaded, the student will go to Mary Graydon Center for check-in. After confirmation of compliance with university requirements, students will receive their One Cards.
- Return to your room to set it up. Due to the move-in process taking some time, your items may not be at your room yet. You are welcome to take them there yourself or wait for the move-in team to deliver them.
Current student will be assigned a move-in date and time. If this time does not work on that day, a current student can switch into an open timeslot that same day or one of the open early days. Students who opt into an early day will also be asked to volunteer to assist with our first year move in process.
Please visit the front desk at your move-in date and time. You will be able to check-into your hall and begin your move-in process. A limited number of carts will be available for check-out.
New transfer students will be assigned a move-in date and time on Tuesday August 23. If this time does not work on that day, a new transfer student can switch into an open timeslot that same day or one of the open early days.
To begin your move-in process, you will need your AUID. You can pick this up from the One-Card Office located in the Mary Graydon Center. Please visit the front desk at your move-in date and time. You will be able to check-into your hall and begin your move-in process. A limited number of carts will be available for check-out.
Dining During Move-In
Meal plans begin on August 21.
What's open when:
- Terrace Dining Room (TDR) opens for dinner on August 21.
- See the full list of dining venues and their hours.
- What's on the menu: Check out what's being served at TDR and other campus dining spots.
Residence Hall Desks
All residence hall front desks will be staffed starting on August 21. They will be staffed 24/7 during the Move-In period and throughout the academic year.