We offer private group exercise classes for student organizations, academic classes, and other campus affiliates. Classes will be hosted through Zoom during the Spring 2021 semester. We offer a wide variety of class formats suitable for all fitness levels and can tailor the event to your group's needs!
Welcome to Session 2 with Group X! We are now offering a variety of weekly virtual group exercise classes through Zoom and in-person classes to get moving together towards a healthy lifestyle.
Reserve your spot now! Registration is required to participate in virtual Group X classes. Register your free IMLeagues account using your American University email click here.
We have partnered with Georgetown University to announce Group X Plus, a Collegiate Virtual Group Fitness program! American University students, faculty, and staff can register for Georgetown University virtual group fitness classes. Georgetown Group Fitness classes will take a pause on March 26 and resume on April 4.
Starting April 5, Group X will be offering a variety of in person classes both outdoor on the Quad and indoors at Cassell Fitness Center Studio AB!
Registration for in-person classes opens one week prior to the session date. You must register for each class you wish to attend through IMLeagues.
Please Note: At this time, all in person group fitness classes are limited to students for Spring 2021. Outdoor classes will reach capacity at 15 participants. Indoor classes will reach capacity at 10 participants.
Make sure you have an active IMLeagues account with American University. This is required in order for you to reserve your class spot.
To join our in-person Group X classes, you must register your spot on IMLeagues.
Reservations open at 8:00 AM, 7 days in advance. Reservations close 1-hour prior to class start time. Outdoor Group X classes are limited to 15 participants. Indoor Group X classes are limited to 10 participants.
Patrons must complete daily health screening prior to coming to campus. If you are not feeling well or experiencing COVID symptoms, please cancel your reservation and stay home.
Please arrive no more than 10 minutes before the start of class. You MUST have a reservation in IMLeagues AND MUST have your AUID with you to participate. Patrons must complete daily health screening prior to coming to campus. If you are not feeling well or experiencing COVID symptoms, please cancel your reservation and stay home.
All Outdoor Group X classes will be held on Quad 5 for the month of April.
All Indoor Group X classes will be held at Cassell Fitness Center Studio AB for the month of April.
- Equipment and Face Masks - Individuals must bring own equipment for outdoor classes - ie. yoga/workout mat. Individuals participating in indoor classes will be provided equipment. A proper face covering is required while on campus. This applies to everyone participating in In-Person Group X. Masks must be worn in a way that covers your nose and mouth. Masks can be removed to drink water but must be worn during group exercise class.
- Social Distancing - Participants must remain 10 feet apart during In-person Group X class; Group X Instructor will direct participants to desginated spot for class.
- Cancellations - All Outdoor Group X classes are limited to 15 participants. All Indoor Group X classes are limited to 10 participants. Patrons must cancel and forefit their spot 24 hours in advance. Patrons must complete daily health screening prior to coming to campus. If you are not feeling well or experiencing COVID symptoms, please cancel your reservation and stay home.
Register on IMLeagues! Registration is required for each session you wish to attend.
- Log into your IMLeagues account. Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to register for an IMLeagues account using their American University email.
- Click the Group Exercise tab in the blue banner under American University.
- Scroll down until you see the calendar (or click on the calendar tab).
- Find the class you want to register for and click the green Sign Up button to the right. This will take you to the class information page. The green Sign Up button is visible if registration is open.
- Read the liability release and click Accept at the botton of the page. Click Sign Up. You have successfully joined the session!
- You will receive a confirmation email from IMLeagues with details on how to access session information and links.
This 45-minute High Intensity Interval Training class combines a variety of strength, plyometric, and anerobic bodyweight movements to get you in shape. Boot Camp will challenge you through bursts of exercise and short recovery breaks. All levels are welcome!
Your core is the foundation of all your strength. This 30-minute class will develop and strengthen all the muscles of your core including your abs, glutes, and lower back.
This class is for anyone who wants to develop muscular strength and endurance. We’ll tackle basic resistance training exercises using a mixture of dumbbells, resistance bands, and body weight each week! A mix of weight lifting techniques and cardiovascular training is used to strengthen your entire body. All levels are welcome! Equipment will be provided.
Center your mind and body while flowing through various postures that promote increased strength, focus and flexibility. This 45-minute class will introduce foundational yoga postures, teach you how to breath and help you feel more comfortable in the yoga practice. Open to all levels.
This yoga class integrate postures that focus on strengthening the muscles in your core. You will flow through a variety of core postures and twists to strengthen the abs, glutes, and lower back.
Get your flow on in this dynamic 45-minute yoga class! Yoga Flow links movement and breath creating a sense of flow and release tension. You'll glide and flow into a blissful relaxation. All levels are welcome and will leave feeling centered and renewed.
Barreless Barre is a full body workout that combines techinques from pilates, yoga, and ballet. This 45-minute workout is a high repetition muscle conditioning class focusing on postural strength and alightment. All exercise levels welcome and no equipment necessary!
This 45-minute class will challenge you through a series of four minute hip hop exercise sequences broken into eight intervals (20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest). Hip Hop Tabata will give you a fun, high intensity workout!
Join us for fun, dance and fitness that incorporates many styles of dance, international rhythms, and a club-like atmosphere that leaves all Zumba participants hooked! No dance experience is required.