Sponsored by the Center for Environmental Filmmaking and The Nature Conservancy, the 2019 Eco-Comedy Video Competition theme was Climate Change. Yes, we know, it’s a vast, unwieldly topic that already has people rolling their eyes! So we challenged you to produce a short (less than three minutes), humorous video that would be seen on YouTube to engage audiences in climate change. The contest was open to anyone worldwide who has a flair for producing videos. There were four categories: K-8, High School, College/University, and Nonstudent. The winner in each category received a $500 prize, plus recognition at the DC Environmental Film Festival, and on the websites of the Center for Environmental Filmmaking and The Nature Conservancy.
This year, we had two special finalist judges, Bethany Hall who is a comedian-in-residence at AU’s Center for Media and Social Impact, and Keith Haskal who is a producer for Seinfeld’s “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”. We got over 250 film submissions from all over the world, and were blown away by the creativity of our submitters.
- Be humorous.
- Communicate a clear (and funny!) message around the theme of climate change.
- Reach a broad audience.
- Be an original production.
- Contain a title at the beginning; please include the total running time.
- Contain credits of the production crew members at the end.
- Be less than three minutes (including titles and credits).
2019 Eco-Comedy finalists and winner:
Tire Swing by Gabriel Giaquinto and Amy Giaquinto
High School Winner:
The Forager by Victor Xia
Office Fish by Benjamin Vornehm
Grand Prize Winner:
Climate Change is Real by Jake Rasmussen and Tom McGovern
Waterman by Anshul Sinha
The Art of Climate Change by María Àlvarez and Elisa Morais
Full Petrol Jacket by Hermes Mangialardo
- Grand Prize, 2018
- @Humanity by Theodore Blossom and Robbie Price
- Grand Prize, 2017
- Planet B by Ashley Holmes
- Grand Prize, 2016
- A Watershed Love Story by Julia Schaefer-Gomez
- Grand Prize, 2015
- DUDE! Or the Blissful Ignorance of Progress by Patrick Webster
- Grand Prize, 2014
- Be a Better Roommate by Patrick Gilmore
- Grand Prize, 2013
- A Brief History of the 5-cent Bag Tax by Craig Schattner
- Grand Prize, 2012
- Clean Coal by the Bituminous Marketing Agency by Alexander Lucas