Discover CAS: A Virtual Open House
January 26-28, 2021
Discover CAS is an exploration of graduate programs within American University’s College of Arts & Sciences. Each day will feature multiple webinars with Admissions Staff, Faculty, and other university representatives. Join us to learn more about our graduate programs and other opportunities within the arts and sciences. Attendees will receive an application fee waiver.
Selected Online Events
STEM Internship and Research Fair
January 26, 3-5 p.m.
Learn about internship and summer research opportunities. Many programs are exclusive to American University students and include generous stipends plus invaluable science training.
ARPC Spring 2021 Series
Registration and event details at the Antiracist Research & Policy Center:
- Dr. Earl Lewis: "Why Higher Education Must Join the Fight for Reparations"
- Urban Dance: The Languages of Black Resistance March
2/18/21, Time TBD
- Walter Rodney and the Struggle for Global Justice
- S’bu Zikode Fanonian Practices with the Abahlali baseMjondolo Shack Dweller’s Movement in South Africa, and Nigel Gibson
- Françoise Vergès, Decolonial Feminisms
- Antiracism in the Marketplace
3/16/21, Time TBD
- Leanne Betasamosake Simpson: Radical Indigenous Resurgence
- Irene Calis, Emancipatory Palestinian Futures
Physics Colloquium: Safe Landings for NASA Missions
February 3, 2021, 2:30 p.m. EST
Greg Clark is the technical lead for the Bench Checkout Equipment (BCE) for the Hazard Deector LiDAR (HDL) instrument which apart of NASA's Safe and Precise Landing Integrated Capabilities Evolution (SPLICE) mission. Mr. Clarke will discuss his career in the field of Electro-Optical technologies as well as his current roles and responsibilities in supporting the HDL instrument. The primary focus of the discussion will be image quality and how it relates to electro-optical instruments.
Visiting Artists Spring 2021 Series
Registration and event details for Visiting Artists Spring 2021:
- Clifford Owens: February 18, 6:00 p.m. EST
- Nicole Awai: March 4, 6:00 p.m. EST
- Legacy Russell: March 25, 6:00 p.m. EST
- Guadalupe Maravilla: April 6, 6:00 p.m. EST
Recent Advances in Info-Metrics Research
April 8, 2021
In honor of Shannon's 105th Birthday, and in celebration of our recently edited book Advances in Info-Metrics: Information and Information Processing across Disciplines (Chen, Dunn, Golan, Ullah, OUP, 2021), we will have a one-day online workshop to discuss recent advances in info-metrics and information-theoretic inference. From the AU Info-Metrics Institute.
Need help with your event or publicity? Please see our CAS Comms site (AU login required).