Services for Students with Disabilities
All new undergraduate students are required to take an online math placement test. You will not be able to register for classes until you take the test. Information about requesting accommodations for this test can be found at www.american.edu/ocl/forms/Online-Math-Placement-Test-Accommodations-Form.cfm.
Information and guidelines for requesting disability-related housing accommodations can be found on the ASAC website at www.american.edu/ocl/asac/Accommodations.cfm#housing.
The information you provide in support of any disability-related needs is treated as confidential under applicable federal and state laws, as well as university policies. This information will only be shared with university personnel on a need-to-know basis.
REGISTERING FOR ACADEMIC ACCOMMODATIONS IS A THREE-STEP PROCESS.
STEP 1: Submit documentation of your disability
• Documentation may be information from a licensed medical provider or clinical professional, and may include, for example, relevant test reports or evaluations, IEPs or 504 plans, etc. Documentation guidelines can be found at www.american.edu/ocl/asac/For-Students-Eligibility.cfm.
• Your documentation can be uploaded when submitting the Student Accommodations Questionnaire (SAQ). See Step 2 below. Documentation can also be sent by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (202-885-1042) or mail to the ASAC.
STEP 2: Submit the Student Accommodations Questionnaire (SAQ)
• You will need to have created your AU student access account at myAU.american.edu and have an AU username in order to complete the SAQ.
• Go to the registration website at www.american.edu/ocl/asac/disability.
• It is required that this questionnaire be completed by you, the student.
STEP 3: Meet with an ASAC counselor
• At this meeting, the ASAC counselor will discuss services, policies, procedures, and your requested accommodations.
• Schedule your appointment by calling 202-885-3360. As accommodations are not retroactive, it is best to schedule an appointment at the beginning of the semester.
When you have completed all three steps, you will be registered with the Academic Support and Access Center.« less