Follow the guidelines for application on the listing in which you are interested. You may also wish to contact the department for which you are interested in working.
Adjunct faculty are advised to speak directly with the department for which they would like to teach.
Please do not send applications for faculty positions to Human Resources.
Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more.
- Arts and Sciences - Professorial Lecturer, Department of Physics
- Arts and Sciences - Professorial Lecturer, Department of Sociology
- Arts and Sciences - Instructor or Professorial Lecturer, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Arts and Sciences - Instructor or Professorial Lecturer in Arabic, Department of World Languages and Cultures
- Arts and Sciences - Instructor or Professorial Lecturer, Department of Literature, Writing Studies Program, 9-month term
- Arts and Sciences - Instructor or Professorial Lecturer, Department of Literature, Writing Studies Program, 12-month term
- Arts and Sciences – Education, Tenure-line, Associate Professor (Beginning AY 2019-20)
- Arts and Sciences - Academic Diversity, Non-Tenure Track, Postdoctoral Fellow, Two positions (Fall 2019)
- Arts and Sciences - Latinx Studies, Tenure-line, Associate or full Professor (beginning AY 2019-20)
- Arts and Sciences - Audio Technology, Term (beginning AY 2019-20)
- Business - Information Technology and Analytics, Tenure-line, Open Rank (beginning AY 2019-20)
- Business - Finance, Non-Tenure Track, Spring 2019
- Communication - Open-Rank, Tenure Eligible, Media, Technology & Democracy
- Communication - Investigating Reporting Workshop, Investigative Broadcaster in Residence (beginning AY 2019-20)
- Communication - IRW-Frontline Research Fellow
- Communication - Data Analytics in Strategic Communications
- Communication - Games and Engagement Design, Tenure-track, Professor/Program Director of Game Lab
- Computer Science - Machine Learning: Lifelong Streaming Anomaly Detection, Non-Tenure Track, Postdoctoral Fellow, Grant Funded (beginning January 2019)
- Environmental Science - Quantitative Ecosystem Analysis, Tenure-Track, Assistant Professor (beginning AY 2019-20)
- Health Studies - Tenure-line, Open Rank (beginning AY 2019-20)
- International Service - New Technology & Security, Tenure-track, Assistant Professor (beginning AY 2019-20)
- International Service, Non-Tenure Track, Open Rank, Two Positions, Spring 2019
- International Service, Non-Tenure Track, Distinguished Diplomat-in-Residence
- International Service, Non-Tenure Track, Mustafa Barzani Scholar for Global Kurdish Studies
- Professional & Extended Studies - Term, Multiple Faculty Positions
- Professional & Extended Studies - Instructor, Term, Multiple Openings
- School of Education - International Training and Education Program, Term Faculty Member and Program Director
- School of Education - Term Position, Director of Education Policy and Leadership Program
- School of International Service - Non-Tenure, Research Professor, Accountability Research Center
- School of Public Affairs - Professorial Lecturer, Department of Justice, Law and Criminology (Internal Candidates Only)
- School of Public Affairs - Professor-of-Practice
- University Library - Reference & Instruction, Residency Program Librarian
- Washington College of Law - Director of Law Library and Information Services
- Washington College of Law - Practitioners-In-Residence, Civil Advocacy Clinic
- Washington College of Law - Practitioners-In-Residence, Criminal Justice Clinic
- Washington College of Law - Practitioners-In-Residence, Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic
Nondiscrimination and Equal Opportunity
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university prohibits discrimination and discriminatory harassment (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) against any AU community member on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual's genetic information, or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases").
The following persons, located at 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C., 20016, have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the university nondiscrimination policies:
- Dean of Students, 202-885-3300
- Assistant Vice President of Human Resources, 202-885-2591
- Dean of Academic Affairs, 202-885-2125
American University is required to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). In accordance with the Clery Act, each year American University prepares an Annual Security Report. This report contains campus crime statistics as well as descriptions of Public Safety's services. It is available to all applicants upon request by calling the Department of Public Safety at 202-885-2537 or the Annual Security Report is also available online.
American University is required to comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA). The 2008 HEOA Amendments require Title IV Institutions to collect and publish statistics related to fire and/or smoke events as well as fire prevention policies and fire safety equipment as these items pertain to residence halls owned and controlled by the institution. In accordance with the fire statistics, safety and prevention requirements of the HEOA, American University Department of Risk Management & Environmental Safety & Health prepares an Annual Fire Safety Report. This report is released annually on or before October 1. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available online or paper copies of the Annual Fire Safety Report will be provided upon request to the Risk Management & Environmental Health & Safety Department at 202-885-2537.