You are here: Full-Time Faculty

Welcome to American University! Information for New Full-Time Faculty

Asian man giving lecture

We're excited that you'll be joining American University as we build on our legacy of leadership, scholarship, and service, and boldly embracing opportunities for greater impact.

This page contains a summary of the things that you'll need to do and know to transition into your new role.

If you have any questions, please contact the American University HR Payroll Helpline at 202-885-3836.

AnchorNew Hire Packet

You will receive an email from "" that contains important new hire documents, resources, and policies to review. Please follow the instructions and complete before your first day at AU.

Forms to complete in your new hire packet

  • Foreign National Status

  • Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

  • Form W-4, Employee’s Federal Withholding Allowance Certificate

  • State Tax Withholding Form

  • DC Pregnancy Accommodation Notice

  • Equal Employment Opportunity Self-Identify Form

  • Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form

Resources in your new hire packet

Contact the Dean of Academic Affairs for more information about Faculty Orientation:

Dean of Academic Affairs

Leonard Lower Level
Office of Academic Affairs
400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8025

AnchorThere are a few more things that you will need to do within the first week that you begin working:


  • This is a federal requirement that shows your proof of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the U.S.
  • Your offer of employment is contingent upon you providing proof of employment eligibility in the United States and must be completed no later than three (3) days of your first day of work.
  • Bring your acceptable, original documentation (photocopies are not acceptable) to an I-9 certified staff member in Human Resources or your department. 


  • Sign up for Direct Deposit, AU’s primary method of payment. You will need your banking information to complete the online form.
  • If you do not sign up for direct deposit, you will be issued a paper check and it will be sent to your department/school of employment for distribution.


  • Provide consent to receive your W2 tax statement online.
    The W-2 form is the document that employers are required to send to each of their employees and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at the end of the year. The form reports the employee's annual wages and the amount of taxes and is used to file tax returns each year by the April 15 deadline.
  • Verify your I-9 Form. You will need to bring two acceptable ORIGINAL, unexpired documents of identity and/or employment authorization (photocopies are not acceptable).
  • Sign up for Direct Deposit, AU’s primary method of payment. You will need your banking information to complete the online form.
  • Designate your emergency contact. You will need their name, address, and phone number(s).
  • Provide consent to receive your W2 tax statement online.
  • If you are new to the university, get your AU One Card (photo identification used to give you building access, check out books at Bender Library, print papers, and make copies). You will need a valid driver’s license, passport, or government issued photo ID to receive your One Card. You may upload your own photo for your ID provided that it meets the university’s requirements, or have your photo taken by the One Card & Dining Services office.

Getting Started at AU

  1. Before You Arrive
  2. Faculty Orientation
  3. Week 1

If you have questions or need assistance, email HR Payroll Help or call (202) 885-3836.

Quick Links