This page contains a summary of the things that you'll need to do and know to transition into your new role.
If you have any questions, please contact the American University HR Payroll Help at 202-885-3836.
New Hire Packet
You will receive an email from "email@example.com" that contains important new hire documents, resources, and policies to review. Please follow the instructions and complete before your first day of work.
Forms to complete in your new hire packet
Foreign National Status
If you are a newly hired student worker who is a foreign national, schedule an appointment with our Foreign Nationals Payroll team and they will assist you with your new hire paperwork.
Federal Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
Federal Form W-4, Employee’s Federal Withholding Allowance Certificate
- State Tax Withholding Form
DC Pregnancy Accommodation Notice
Equal Employment Opportunity Self-Identify Form
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form
Resources in your new hire packet
Resources for graduate student workers only
There are a few more things to do on your first day of work:
Verify Part 2 of Your Federal I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility)
- This is a federal requirement that shows your proof of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Your offer of employment is contingent upon you providing proof of employment eligibility in the United States and must be completed no later than three (3) days of your first day of work.
- Bring your acceptable, original documentation (photocopies are not acceptable) to an I-9 certified staff member in Human Resources or your department.
Sign-Up for Direct Deposit
- Sign up for Direct Deposit, AU’s primary method of payment. You will need your banking information to complete the online form.
- If you do not sign up for direct deposit, you will be issued a paper check and it will be sent to your department/school of employment for distribution.
Elect to receive electronic W2 Statement
- Provide consent to receive your W2 tax statement online.
The W-2 form is the document that employers are required to send to each of their employees and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at the end of the year. The form reports the employee's annual wages and the amount of taxes and is used to file tax returns each year by the April 15 deadline.
As a student worker, you are paid every two weeks (bi-weekly). It is important that you submit your online time sheet by the pay period due date to get paid on time.
- If you have not signed up for Direct Deposit, AU’s primary method of payment, you will be issued a paper check and it will be sent to your department/school of employment for distribution. Direct depost is the fastest, most convenient way to receive your pay.
- Online time sheets are found on the myAU.american.edu portal under the Work@AU navigation. Bi-weekly time sheets are due every two weeks. Just fill out the time you worked and click "Sign" and it will be routed to your supervisor for signature.
- If you miss a time sheet submission deadline, enter the wrong amount of hours, or have system issues, you will need to fill out and submit a paper time sheet (available in the time sheet portal).
Use the Bi-weekly Payroll Schedule to check when your time sheets are due and when your pay will be deposited into your bank accout or a paper check will be issued.