- As a new hire, it is important to verify Part 2 of Your Federal I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility) within 3 days of your start date.
- This is a federal requirement that shows your proof of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Your offer of employment is contingent upon you providing proof of employment eligibility in the United States and must be completed no later than three (3) days of your first day of work.
- List of acceptable I-9 documents
Where you can verify Part 2 of your Federal Form I-9
- Bender Library, lower level (walk-in)
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- The Office of Human Resources (by appointment only)
Mondays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
To schedule an appointment:
- Go to https://help.american.edu
- Login with your AU credentials
- Select “Appointments” in the top-right header menu
- Select “Office of Human Resources – In Person Visits”
- Offered on-site by some departments
Check with your HR Representative or supervisor for more information and availability
What You Will Need
You will need to show proof of your employment eligibility when you verify Part 2 of your I-9. Acceptable, original, unexpired documents that you can use to complete the Form I-9 can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9 Acceptable Documents site.
If you have any questions, please contact the American University HR Payroll Help at 202-885-3836.